Afro hair + Beauty + Fashion + Fitness

Jan 25, 2013

♥ DIY Bentonite Clay, Green Tea & Argan Oil Face Mask

DIY Bentonite Clay, Green Tea & Argan Oil Mud Face Mask

Today I have got an exciting DIY to share with you. I've had this Bentonite Clay lying around for quite some time but after a few failed attempts at using it, I just put it aside. I should probably mention that my failed attempts were most likely due to be mixing the bentonite clay with a metal spoon which is the only thing you shouldn't do because it reacts with the clay which has some kind of electrical charge (lol not sure how that works, google it). 

The most common brand of Bentonite Clay is the Indian Healing Clay which I think is available at stores like Whole foods or online on sites like Amazon. Common uses are:
  • As an internal detox (sounds scary though)
  • As a mud face masked by mixing Bentonite Clay & Water, and sometimes Apple Cider Vinegar
  • As a hair clarifier by using the same recipe as above


 Bentonite Clay in your face is meant to draw all impurities and toxins out of the skin. I got the idea of mixing it with Green Tea after trying out the GlamGlow Youth Mud Mask which contains Green Tea leaves & Green Tea extracts. So I decided to give this clay another try.

Here is my Bentonite Clay, Green Tea & Argan Oil Mud Face Mask Recipe:

  • A bowl of water
  • Two Green Tea Bags
  • A wooden spoon to stir (or anything which is Not metal)
  • Bentonite Clay
  • An oil/essential Oil, I used Argan Oil



How to?

  1.  Add water to a bowl (optional: add 1/4 ACV* to the water, use Rose Water, Use Aloe Vera Juice) || Add a bag of Green Tea and let it brew for a few minutes || Add a few drops of the oil of your choice, I used Argan Oil
  2. Pour the leaves of one Green Tea Bag into your mix
  3. Stir it with anything that isn't made of metal
  4. Add the Bentonite Clay until the mixture has the consistency you want it to have
This is what mine looked like!



My thoughts on this? 

The first time I tried mixing a Bentonite Clay face mask I felt like the clay didn't properly mix with the water, but as I said above- this could be because I used a metal spoon. This time it definitely mixed, but I am guessing it mixes better with the mix if you do Not put oils in your mix. My mix took ages too hardened, I think it was because it wasn't mixed too well nor distributed too well in my face and I also put quite a thick layer in my face. Next time I might try putting a bit more water in my mix.


Results?

Oh my god. Results definitely exceeded my expectations. I knew that your face could get a little bit red from using this, but due to my mud mask taking long to harden, I left it on for like 30 mins while I was showering. My face was soo red. It didn't hurt or anything but I literally had a line in my face where I was red from the mud mask.

Anyway, surprisingly this just left my face suuuupersoft. Like I exfoliated it, which it didn't really because I didn't have any scrubbing beads in it. Maybe my face was so clean that it just felt soft, either way this i definitely a keeper and I will be using this face mask recipe again!

Have you tried a Bentonite Clay face mask?
& do you have any other DIY face mask recipes, if so, link them :) 

xx


Check out my other natural DIY's here, where I've got recipes of Lip Balms, Lip sticks, Deep Conditioners, Protein Treatments, Body Scrubs and much more.






*Apple Cider Vinegar

11 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the redness, but so glad to hear that it worked!

    www.lookwhatigot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gr8 post hun, my diy mask is w lime,avocado&olive oil. I barely have time to do it all so I jus try buy a good face mask *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! Thank you so much for sharing, I really want to try it :)
    cutenquirky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really interesting. I love doing masks and have never thought of making one myself. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is the first facial mask I've heard with a green tea extract on it. What I tried is a facial product which has an extract of tulsi tea but most likely it didn't work well for me. How long do I need to stay this mask before I remove it on my face?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time instead of using an oil, you should try honey, which is what I do. I mix my clay with honey and ACV. It works a treat. My face also has red marks on my face and to help soothe it, I use raw Coconut Oil, which is great as it also doubles up as an intensive moisturiser.

    naturalelleblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sure beats my Apricot Scrub! I am so going to try this

    www.chantneyrenese.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember trying argan oil and coconut oil, but I wasn’t happy with them. Currently, I’m using shea butter on my skin, and it hydrates my skin so well, I really recommend it! Gray Hair Treatment with Argan Oil

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmm i will try green tea too, instead of throwing it, when i drink tea. :) love your idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually green tea is an wonderful remedy for making your health fit & perfect, if you have using ayurvedic its a added taste to drink so that green tea brand also increased in India, Thanks for this wonderful blog.
    Green Tea Price in Chennai

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, making me super happy!
I reply to every single comment, but it might take a couple of days.

If you tweet me @yolandaas I will reply immediately :)

Have a great day ♥