DIY Scalp Oil & Hair Lotion in Applicator Bottle
A scalp oil for me is essentials in order to not get an itchy scalp, and also keep it from getting dry. I actually hada terrible experience with a rash in my whole scalp for 2-3 months a few years ago. A hair dresser actually said it was psoriasis, since I don't have that- I am pretty sure it was a reaction to a relaxer. At that time I didn't care that much about my hair, nor scalp and didn't think much of it, but it was disgusting and extremely flaky.
Moving on, now I use a scalp oil about every other day. It's a great way to also try and give yourself a scalp massage before going bed, increasing the blood flow to your scalp- which promotes hair growth.
What to put in your scalp oil mix?
- Majority of the oil should consistent of at least one of the 2 only oils that will actually get absorbed by skin and hair. These are Coconut Oil & Jojoba Oil. Using a thick oil like Castor Oil (when you leave it on your scalp) can give you an adverse effect- making your scalp itchy!
- Peppermint Oil! Amazing for scalp, feels very soothing and depending on how much you put in, it gives a cooling sensation too.
- Tea Tree Oil. Add some of this for the antibacterial and anti fungal properties it has. This will keep your scalp healthy and clean between washes.
- Rosemary Oil. This can help stimulate the circulation to your scalp, and thereby promoting hair growth.
What to put in your hair lotion/oil?
- Shea Butter (Melt it and pour it in, don't use more than a 3rd)
- A cheap carrier oil like Almond or Sesame Seed.
- A few super nutritious oils like: Linseed Oil & Hemp Seed Oil
- Essential oil of choice for the scent (will make your hair smell newly washed between washes), like: Lavender, Sweet Orange, Rose Oil
Essential for both mixes:
- Vitamin E oil: An antioxidant which prolonges shelf life of a product as well as promotes cell growth.
Read my post on: Vitamin E Oil here, Coconut Oil here, Shea Butter here, Jojoba Oil here, Oils in general here.
Do you use oils in your hair?
& whats your favourite?