Afro hair + Beauty + Fashion + Fitness

Nov 14, 2012

♥ DIY Scalp Oil & Hair Lotion

DIY Scalp Oil & Hair Lotion in Applicator Bottle


A scalp oil for me is essentials in order to not get an itchy scalp, and also keep it from getting dry.  I actually hada terrible experience with a rash in my whole scalp for 2-3 months a few years ago. A hair dresser actually said it was psoriasis, since I don't have that- I am pretty sure it was a reaction to a relaxer. At that time I didn't care that much about my hair, nor scalp and didn't think much of it, but it was disgusting and extremely flaky.

Moving on, now I use a scalp oil about every other day. It's a great way to also try and give yourself a scalp massage before going bed, increasing the blood flow to your scalp- which promotes hair growth.

What to put in your scalp oil mix?

  • Majority of the oil should consistent of at least one of the 2 only oils that will actually get absorbed by skin and hair. These are Coconut Oil & Jojoba Oil. Using a thick oil like Castor Oil (when you leave it on your scalp) can give you an adverse effect- making your scalp itchy!
  • Peppermint Oil! Amazing for scalp, feels very soothing and depending on how much you put in, it gives a cooling sensation too. 
  • Tea Tree Oil. Add some of this for the antibacterial and anti fungal properties it has. This will keep your scalp healthy and clean between washes.
  • Rosemary Oil. This can help stimulate the circulation to your scalp, and thereby promoting hair growth.
What to put in your hair lotion/oil?
  • Shea Butter (Melt it and pour it in, don't use more than a 3rd)
  • A cheap carrier oil like Almond or Sesame Seed.
  • A few super nutritious oils like: Linseed Oil & Hemp Seed Oil
  • Essential oil of choice for the scent (will make your hair smell newly washed between washes), like: Lavender, Sweet Orange, Rose Oil


Essential for both mixes:

  • Vitamin E oil: An antioxidant which prolonges shelf life of a product as well as promotes cell growth.



Read my post on: Vitamin E Oil hereCoconut Oil hereShea Butter here, Jojoba Oil here, Oils in general here


Do you use oils in your hair?
& whats your favourite?

xx



8 comments:

  1. Soooooooo gonna try this. My scalp gets very dry in the winter! Thanks for sharing! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also made my own oil mix. It's a mix of castor oil, jojoba oil and sweet almond oil. I use it for scalp massages and to seal in my moisturizer. I have to buy vitamin E oil and add that to my mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pure organic argan oil. I've tried so many different hair oils and it is definitely the best!

    Beauty Fiends Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just want I need, I am taking out my braids and really need to find some remedies around to revive it again before my weave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mix is Jamaican Black Castor oil & Extra Virgin Olive oil. I use this once a week on a clean scalp and massage it in.
    This has helped my once flaky dry scalp,I started using it as a growth aid and made it a weekly staple.

    btw - thanks for the exfoliating gloves tip. I did it this week and I will be doing it weekly from now on.

    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post hun, I use 100% argan oil&jojoba oils for my hair&skin :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. very good post! would you like to follow each other? let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Stuff and info in your post!



    hair moisturizer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, making me super happy!
I reply to every single comment, but it might take a couple of days.

If you tweet me @yolandaas I will reply immediately :)

Have a great day ♥