Afro hair + Beauty + Fashion + Fitness

Mar 14, 2012

♥ DIY: Vitamin E- Jojoba & Sweet Orange Nail Oil

Did you know that Vitamin E can really help you if you have brittle nails that break vertically? I've had it before and it's really annoying, your nails grow, but just keep breaking until their really thin which eventually cause the to break horizontally too.

The Vitamin E molecule itself is too big to penetrate the nail, which is why it's commonly used with Jojoba Oil (which has smaller molecules). I use my own nail oil, its a Vitamin E- Jojoba & Sweet orange oil. The Sweet Orange Essential oil makes it smell amazing.

My nail oil is really easy and cheap (in the long run, or if you have some of the ingredients already.

You need an empty nail polish/oil container. I'm using an old nail oil one. A tip is to use a container with a fairly big whole at the top, otherwise you'll spill unnecessary amounts of oil trying to pour it.



The ingredients I use in my nail oil all happen to be from Holland & Barret (UK Health Shop):

-Grapeseed Oil with Vitamin E
-Sweet Orange Essential Oil
-Jojoba Oil


Of course, you can use only Jojoba oil and Vitamin E drops if you want to. Or make another recipe. I just think it's handy that the Vitamin E is in the Grapeseed oil, and I had it at home.


Why you shouldn't buy nail oils, I also wanted to say, even though you might not want to use this recipe. Keep in mind that all the nail oils out there are ridiculously overpriced. Be aware of bad ingredients, and if the ingredients are good, just read them, and make it yourself!

Here are some examples..

Solar Oil, approximately £7 for a normal sized bottle a think.











From what I've researched a lot of people have found that this is a good nail oil. These are the ingredients if you want to make it yourself:

Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Almond Fragrance, Tocopherol Acetate.

!Tocopherol Acetate is Vitamin E for those who don't know.


Sally Hansen Vitamin E Nail & Cuticle Oil, approximately £7
I would definitely not buy this, nor copy the ingredients because it contains mineral oil, parabens and silicones- quite a lot of them too. There are some good ingredients though such as: Safflower Oil, Vitamin E, Vitamin B5 (Panthenol), Wheat Germ Oil, Coconut Oil & Aloe Vera.

Carthamus Tinctorius Seed Oil (Safflower) , Tocopheryl Acetate , Isocetyl Alcohol , Cyclopentasiloxane , Cyclohexasiloxane , Panthenol , Propylparaben , Prunus Armeniaca Kernal Oil (Apricot) , Triticum Vulgare Germ Oil (Wheat) , Aqua (Water) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Citric Acid


Do you use nail oils & do you think they work? Any favorites?
x

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful blog with very inspiring posts! Would you like to follow each other?
    xoxo,
    Fashionhypnotised girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use nail oil, i heard that nutriments in foods we eat do the job for great hair, skin and nails but doing your own is probably better thant buying one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I never buy nail oils they are over priced. I love almond oil for my nails
    www.whokilledlola.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice post. my nails tend to break like that sometimes. i'm definitely going to be trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used jojoba oil on my hair a few times! It makes it really soft and look nourished :)

    Www.throughchelseaseyes.blogspot.com

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. especially with my new nail polish adduction... I should also b given my nails a break from the hard acetone remover. I have the oils so I will try this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha wow vilket sammanträffande! haha :) Brukar du alltid göra eget nagelolja?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually rub some oil on my nails, but I'll deffo be doing a little concoction :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, making me super happy!
I reply to every single comment, but it might take a couple of days.

If you tweet me @yolandaas I will reply immediately :)

Have a great day ♥