Afro hair + Beauty + Fashion + Fitness

Dec 27, 2012

♥ DIY: Lavender Beeswax Salve

DIY: Lavender Beeswax Salve


Check out my other natural DIYs here, to learn how to make your own lip balm, lipstick, whipped Shea Butter, deep conditioner, body scrubs, face masks, facial oils or nail oils.

Another DIY for you guys. This one is a Beeswax Salve with a Lavender scent. You can of course change it to any scent that you prefer, such as Peppermint, Sweet Orange, Rose or Tea Tree Oil. A Salve means a mix of an oil, and a wax.You could say that it is a natural version of Vaseline and also has a similar consistency. Use it on any dry parts like cuticles, knees, elbows, feet or scalp.

What you need..

  • Beeswax
  • A carrier oil
  • A microwave or a stove using a double boiler
  • A cosmetic container (You can get my one from Neal's Yard Remedies here)
  • A bowl to melt the ingredients in
..Alternatively:
  • Shea Butter/Coca Butter
  • An essential oil for scent

How to mix it?

So I will write to you the way I personally make it. I have not read any recipes so do not quote me on this, it is all about mixing it until you get it the way you like it. FIY, the hardness of Beeswax on a scale from 1-10 would be a 10, whereas Shea Butter is a 6-7 and Cocoa Butter a 9-10. So for the most simple recipe of an oil and Beeswax, you use a ratio of 1:3 to get a solid, but soft salve. Keep this in mind when you are creating your salve.

1. Fill up the cosmetic container that you will be using according to the guide lines I've written above, i.e for a simple salve of only beeswax and oil, fill a fourth of your container with Beeswax and the rest with oil. If you wan't to add Shea Butter to the mix, the way I would do it is to in your head, divide the container in two parts. For the first half of your container, fill 1/4 with Beeswax and 3/4 with oil. For your second half, since Shea Butter is softer than Beeswax, add 1/3 of Shea Butter and 2/3 oil. This is just the way I do it since I just do it by heart, and I don't measure or follow a recipe.

2. Pour the mix of wax, oil and Shea butter into a bowl. Heat it in the microwave but take it out now and then to stir. Once the whole mix has no bits or chunks in it and just looks like a melted oil, take it out.

3. Pour the mix into your cosmetic container again. Now add your essential oils and/or Vitamin E oil (natural preservative). Leave to harden over night or put in the fridge or freezer if you are impatient.

Done!
Will you try this, 
or have you tried something like this before?

xx



Check out my other natural DIYs here, to learn how to make your own lip balm, lipstick, whipped Shea Butter, deep conditioner, body scrubs, face masks, facial oils or nail oils.





4 comments:

  1. I love this! I actually have the right ingredients so definitely will be trying :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a fab idea!!

    http://sindy-ng.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Really helpful post. I like the double boiler. We use it to look soup, dessert...all kinds of things.
    Girlie Blog Seattle | Casual Clothes for Less

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely , thankyou I'll look into trying it, I've only tried making my own lip scrub with honey & sugar, but never a beeswas salve :D

    xoxo
    Arwasblogpage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, making me super happy!
I reply to every single comment, but it might take a couple of days.

If you tweet me @yolandaas I will reply immediately :)

Have a great day ♥